The clock frame would appear to be the work of two makers, the majority of the frame (lower ties and corner posts) individually forged and united with riveted mortice and tenon joints was probably made around 1700. However, the upper ties are out of character, forged ii one flat piece and riveted to the corner posts. This construction seems to be not unusual with West-of-England makers, and was certainly used by William Monk, Berwick St. John, (now Barwick St. John) He was born in 1690, died 1753, and made a clock for his town in 1740. He also made Sherborne Abbey clock, which may still be seen there. In all probability, the partly finished frame was completed around 1720, with the addition of this flat top frame. Unfortunately, the depth of the top frame was about two inches less than the corner post spacing, resulting in the front and back plates which carry the train, being grossly out-of-parallel.
It was common at this period to build turret clocks only for the purpose of sounding hour and quarter bells, with no provision being made to drive a pair of hands. This was such a clock, which has had an additional take-off pinion fitted, motion work and an external dial and hands. The dial has been fitted over an old window in the tower, in which the glass has been smashed to pass the hour pipe through to the dial. This work was probably carried out around 1800-1850.
This description taken from report by R Frost, Wells, 1981 when he refurbished the clock and designed and built the auto winder-units